No one enjoys going to the dentist, but it’s a necessary part of modern life if you want to stay healthy. Here are some great reasons to pay your dental care provider a visit.
1. A visit to your hygienist helps you to maintain your oral health by keeping your teeth clean. Ongoing, at-home care is important, but a qualified dental hygienist can give you a much more thorough cleaning with the use of specialized tools and equipment. Getting a routine cleaning every six months will keep your teeth and gums in great shape throughout your life.
2. Scheduling regular appointments helps you to maintain previous work you’ve had done on your teeth. If you’ve had numerous cavities in the past, your fillings may need some touching up. Or maybe you have a permanent retainer that’s been feeling off lately, ever since you bit into that hard pretzel. Whatever the case, a dental care provider can offer you reliable upkeep so that the money you’ve invested in the past doesn’t go to waste.
3. Regular check ups help you to prevent gingivitis and periodontitis. Gum disease is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. If gingivitis is caught early on by a professional, it can be prevented, but if it progresses to severe periodontal disease, it will be irreversible. Gum disease is incredibly time-sensitive, so it’s important to get medical treatment as soon as possible to avoid the need for false teeth such as dental implants or dentures. And because gum disease has been linked to increased rates of heart attacks, strokes, and pancreatic cancer, maintaining your oral health will improve your overall wellbeing.
4. Visits with your oral care provider also helps you to prevent oral cancer. Oral cancer is extremely treatable in its early stages, but it can be lethal later on; someone in the United States dies of the disease every hour, according to the Oral Cancer Foundation. Dentists screen for oral cancer during routine checkups and cleanings in an effort to catch the signs of it early.
5. You can also detect dental problems before they become emergencies by having regular appointments scheduled. Many dental problems don’t make themselves known until they’re full-on catastrophes, and if it turns out that you have an advanced issue, such as tooth decay, it may be irreversible. Therefore, you can save yourself time, pain, and costly care by seeing a qualified dentist on a regular basis. In some cases, patients are forced to undergo root canals, tooth removal, or gum surgery when a simple procedure such as a small restoration or filling could have fixed the problem earlier on.
6. Your oral care provider can also help you to get a brighter, more attractive smile. Health benefits aside, a visit to the dentist will help you keep your pearly whites looking great. Regular cleanings will remove surface staining, and if you’d like to go the extra mile, you can always receive whitening treatments. Recent advances in the field of cosmetic dentistry have made way for easy, affordable whitening options.
7. And lastly, regular visits will also help you to educate yourself. Most dentists take pride in instructing their patients on how to properly care for their teeth at home. They can give you helpful tips on brushing, flossing, and other maintenance activities with your individual needs in mind.
Source by Aloysius Aucoin