This is an advice to all those diehard fans of lemonade, soda water or energy drinks. These drinks may seem refreshing for the hot summer, but they surely do not leave a good impact on your teeth. These drinks are the main reason of Enamel Erosion, a dental health problem that can invite other health problems too. So they are not good for your oral hygiene.
Enamel is the hard outer layer of teeth that we can see or touch. The main objective of this layer is to protect the inner sensitive layer of dentin from harmful bacteria. Enamel is transparent, so the color of teeth that we see is not because of enamel, but actually it is because of sensitive inner part. Drinking of soda water, lemonade or energy drinks causes enamel of the teeth to erode. If this layer is damaged or lost, then chances are pretty higher that you will get infected with other problems too. For example: cavities, tooth decay, gum disease and many other dental problems. This problem is commonly seen in youth, because usage of all the above listed drinks is especially common among them.
What causes Enamel Erosion?
The most common reason of enamel erosion is usage of acid beverages, but it is not the only reason. There are other reasons too, which include:
- Dry Mouth or low saliva production
- Excessive input of starch or sugar in diet
- Acid reflux disease
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Environmental Factors
Some other reasons also exist, but they are not that much common. For example: Medications and Genetics.
What are environmental causes of Enamel Erosion?
Environmental causes of enamel erosion are given below:
- Tear and Wear
Symptoms of enamel erosion
Symptoms may vary, but some common symptoms include:
- Sensitivity against sweets, hot or cold foods
- Discoloration in yellow color
- Cracks and chips
- Cupping on the surface of teeth
Can plaque cause enamel erosion?
- A single mistake in dental care invites so many problems at one. So the answer to this question is, yes.
- This happens because sometimes bacteria present in plaque changes food starches into acids.
- When this happens, acids start eating the healthy minerals of enamel. This causes enamel to become pitted.
- When erosion grows, pits become larger in size.
Protection Method 1: Rinse with water
- Always remember, brushing your teeth just after the consumption of acid beverages will not give you relief. Instead, it will leave a reverse effect and will spread the acid around tooth surface. For total dental care, firstly rinse your mouth well with water. This will wash away the acid present on your teeth.
- Brush your teeth after 2 hours of consumption. Sooner than that will not help you.
- Chewing sugar free gum is also a helpful thing because it increases the saliva production which will help in washing away the acid.
Protection Method 2: Make use of a straw
- Using a straw while drinking acid beverages will also help a lot. It will nearly bypass the entire problem because the acid will not touch your teeth.
- Also avoid swishing of beverage in your mouth.
Protection Method 3: Use Fluoride
- Fluoride helps in strengthening the enamel. It also helps a lot in recovering the enamel you have lost because of erosion.
- There are several ways of using fluoride for your teeth. For example, you can use fluoride toothpaste or you can also take a fluoride treatment.
Enamel Erosion can become a severe situation that will harm your teeth and overall health for a long time. For avoiding enamel erosion, ensure that you follow a good oral hygiene and avoid usage of acid beverages. And if you visit your dentist for regular checkups after every 6 months then it will be a lot better.
Source by P K Martin