A broken tooth may be happened because of trauma, for example in an accident, fallen down or punched precisely at the mouth. Oftentimes people think the tooth cannot be rejoin to its original position and they just throw away the fragment. Actually there is a possibility to rejoin a broken tooth, as long as the breakage is not severe (only one line breakage and not shattered). A transversal line breaking is easier to rejoin rather than the vertical one. Time is also important; tacking on the tooth must be done in less than one hour. The possibility of rejoining a tooth is bigger in a child than that of in an adult.
If your tooth broke these are things you should do before seeing the dentist:
1. Hold the tooth at the crown part (upper part); do not hold at the lower side.
2. Do not rub or throw away the broken fragment because it will be required to rejoin the tooth.
3. If the tooth looks dirty, hold the crown part and clean the dirt, including the root with streaming water. Do not rub the dirty part, especially at root area.
4. If possible, place the broken part on its original position. If it cannot be done, put the broken tooth in milk and immediately see a dentist. You can also put the tooth inside your mouth between the interior cheek and the molar. This is important to keep the tooth humid and do not runs dry and stays “alive”.
5. After the tooth cleaned and placed at safe place immediately bring it to closest dentist.
Treatment of broken tooth area and the mouth
1. Gargle with warm water to clean the mouth and compress the swelling cheek with cold water.
2. If any part of lip and tongue was wounded, clean it and apply local antiseptic drug.
3. If there was a long and massive bleeding, immediately go to emergency unit.
4. punched in the mouth may cause trauma to the jaw. Trauma of the jaw or fracture of it signed by pain and mouth cannot be closed. To reduce the pain in bone you can use a cold compress.
5. If trauma happened to somebody using orthodontic, try to cover the sharp part of it using sterile cotton or cloth. If this part jabbed cheek, tongue or any other organ, try to remove it immediately. If this effort failed immediately go to emergency unit.
Source by Any Safarodiyah