If you are looking to answer the question is dental insurance worth it, then your decision should be based on the current condition of your teeth. Also, the decision can is based on how well you take care of your teeth and the amount of dental work you are expecting during the year. If you have been practicing high standards of oral hygiene, then you may not be in urgent need of a dental insurance plan. But remember that weird things do happen without giving any warning. For example, you may have a cracked tooth that requires fillings. Such unforeseen contingencies can occur anytime, and their treatment may be costly. This, therefore, makes dental insurance a highly valuable tool.
According to the American Dental Association, many adults never seek the recommended dental care because of the high costs of dental treatments. Surprisingly, even the average out-of-pocket cost for preventive dental care seems to be high. That is why people are advised to go for dental insurance to make dental treatment more affordable.
Imagine a scenario whereby during a checkup your dentist suddenly informs you that one of your teeth has a problem. He tells you that the only solution to the problem is getting a root canal and crown, which will save you from undergoing a dental implant in the near future. He further tells you that the procedure costs around $3000. For most people, raising such an amount of money in a short notice can be hectic. But if you had obtained dental insurance a few months ago, then undergoing such a dental procedure would be pretty cheaper.
For some people, affordable dental care makes a lot of sense, but to others, it doesn’t at all. This article will explore the benefits of having a dental insurance policy, the importance of routine visits to a dentist, as well as the consequences of avoiding your dentist. By reading this piece article, you will be in a better position to answer the question is dental insurance worth it.
Why is Dental Insurance Important?
If you are looking for ways to keep your family healthy, then dental insurance is one of them. Living a healthy life does not only entail eating a proper diet and exercising regularly but also keeping your mouth healthy. A healthy mouth equals a healthy body. And since dental treatment is a bit costly, obtaining dental insurance is a great way to make it more affordable. Outlined below are some of the top benefits of acquiring dental insurance:
- Offers coverage to preventive care, which saves you money- As mentioned earlier, some dental procedures are way too costly. By seeking early dental diagnosis, you can curb such dental problems before they get too serious and require expensive procedures.
- Whenever you require dental treatment, it will be cheaper- Settling dental expenses out-of-pocket can be quite expensive for some people. But if you have a dental insurance plan, part or all of the cost is catered by the dental insurance provider. The patient pays any remaining cost.
- When you use dental benefits, you are likely to save time. According to the Surgeon General report, a lot of hours are lost each year due to dental problems. If such problems could be treated before they become severe, people could save a lot of their productive hours.
- Improves the overall health- Medical researchers have identified several links between oral and overall health. According to the recent research, symptoms for more than 120 diseases have been detected through oral exam of the mouth. Remember dental infections may lead to severe conditions, such as heart disease and diabetes. So, with a good dental insurance plan, you can avoid such complications by undergoing regular and affordable dental exams.
Health Benefits of Regular Dental Visits
Regular brushing and flossing are not the only remedies for healthy teeth and gums. Visiting your dentist for regular checkups can help keep the highest standards of oral hygiene. For many people, regular visits to a dentist are like a chore. Some people lack time because of their tight daily schedules, but others are just ignorant. Remember if you keep your teeth and gums healthy, you will avoid expensive dental procedures down the line.
According to the American Dental Association, people should see dentists at least twice a year. But the dentist can recommend several visits, especially if you are facing serious complications. Below are some of the health benefits you will accrue out of your regular visits to the dentist:
Stronger Teeth- If you pay regular visits to your dentist, obviously your teeth will always remain strong. By seeing your dentist regularly, he will be able to identify any broken or decaying tooth and offer the right remedy. They also advise on the right diet to eat to keep your teeth strong. The sooner you identify a problem with your teeth, the sooner you have it fixed by your dentist.
Better Digestion- Your digestive system is greatly affected by your oral health. If you chew food well, carbohydrates in the food are broken down by saliva and this helps in smooth digestion. If you have weak and misaligned teeth, it will be hard for you to break food into small particles for proper digestion. By seeing a dentist frequently, you are not only improving your oral health but also your digestive system.
Checking for Cavities- Cavities can develop between your teeth without your knowledge. If cavities are detected early, proper treatment can easily be administered. This is likely to save your teeth that could have been lost due to continued decay. If decay finds its way to the enamel, the infection can spread quickly to enter the bloodstream, which may lead to serious bacterial infections. By scheduling frequent visits to the dentists, cavities can be detected and proper treatment offered.
Early Detection of Other Medical Complications- More than 90% of diseases that affect the entire body show their symptoms in the mouth. Some signs can reveal the presence of diabetes or HIV and AIDS. If you opt for routine dental checkups, your dentist will be able to identify such medical complications. As such, you will be able to take early measures before they go out of control.
Gingivitis Prevention- If you have not been brushing and flossing for quite some time, there is a high risk of gum infection. This occurs due to the accumulation of plaque and tartar. Such a condition is known as gingivitis and can lead to serious health issues, such as periodontitis and trench mouth. If you pay regular visits to your dentist, such problems will be prevented from occurring.
Proper Examination of Neck, Throat, Face and Tongue- Your dentist will examine these parts to see if there are any symptoms of oral cancer. Early detection of oral cancer facilitates proper treatment of the problem.
Ugly Consequences of Avoiding the Dentist
Many people have the perception that brushing and flossing their teeth is all they need to maintain proper oral health. While these play a great role in maintaining good oral hygiene, there is also a necessity to schedule regular dental visits with your dentist. Most people skip dental visits either because they are afraid of the cost, or have had a bad experienced during their previous visits.
Dental fear or anxiety can make one to avoid dental visits. This might have been caused by unpleasant experienced they had with their dental professionals. The best thing to do is to change your dentist because there are many of them around who can meet your dental health needs. Interviewing your prospective dentists thoroughly before settling on one is the way to go.
Again, personal finances could also be a reason why people avoid dentists. The feeling that you cannot afford dental health care can make you ruin your dental health. But this should not be an excuse since dental insurance is available to everybody. With a good dental insurance plan, you are likely to receive affordable dental treatment.
Avoiding your dentist, especially for many years can result in more complicated health issues, both in your mouth and the entire body. This is because you are not being checked out regularly, which allows the disease to run rampant. Some of the problems you are likely to face may include the following:
- Tooth Decay- Daily brushing and flossing help control plaque. When bacteria invade those food particles trapped in between your teeth, the plaque is formed. If not removed, this substance can make the tooth enamel to start decaying. During your dental visits, your dentist will clean and remove the plaque. Avoiding these appointments allows plaque to build up. Eventually, decay will occur, which may require expensive restorations.
- Gum Disease- If tooth decay remains untreated, gum disease erupts. Remember that gum holds your teeth in position. If plaque bacteria attacks the gums, swelling and bleeding are noticed. If quick action is not taken, this condition may lead to periodontal disease.
- Stains- Drinks, such as coffee, tea, and wine may lead to teeth staining. Smoking can also stain teeth and cause a dull smile. Whenever you visit your dentist, teeth cleaning is done to help remove such stains. Skipping such appointments means you will never cast a bright smile.
- Other Health Problems- During a checkup, dentists usually detect many signs and symptoms of other medical complications. Detecting and curbing such problems early in advance helps avoid costly medical expenses down the line. If you avoid your dentist, medical problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, kidney failure, and oral cancer may not be detected until they reach an advanced stage.
In essence, it is vital to schedule regular dental visits with your dentist. This will not only help control potential dental problems but will also help detect serious diseases that can greatly affect your overall health.
Finding the Best Dental Insurance Plan for You and Your Family
When it comes to finding the best dental insurance for you and your family, you need not make any careless mistake. As a family head, it is imperative to make sure the dental health of your loved ones is always superb. With a little legwork, you are likely to land a dental plan that meets all your dental needs and that of your family. Also, thorough research both locally and online can enable you to answer the question is dental insurance worth it. Below are some tips to go by:
Begin with Your Family Dentist
Ask your current dentist about the plans his clinic accepts. A good dentist will present several options and probably recommend the best. If you can get a plan with your current dentist that suits your family, then no need to change the dentist.
Check Out Which Treatment Options are Covered
Keep in mind that some dental plans only offer treatment to specific dental complications. So, it is your mandate to examine those plans presented to you to pick one that covers what you want.
Inquire about All the Costs
You should not just look at the monthly premiums when considering a dental insurance plan. Instead, you should consider all the other costs, such as co-pays, deductibles, and other extra expenses. By so doing, you will be able to settle on an affordable plan.
Explore the Dental network for Different Plans
While looking into various options, consider exploring the network of dentists that are involved in each dental plan. Avoid those dental plans that tend to limit you to specific dentists. If possible, go for a plan that offers you the freedom to choose the dentist you want.
Consider dental plans that are available within your locality. A local search based on your zip code can give you a long list of dental plans to choose from. This means you will not have to travel a long distance to see a dental specialist.
Comparing quotes from different providers is a great way to narrow down your search. Ask for detailed quotes from different dental plan providers and compare the costs. If possible, create a list of all dental services that your family requires. This will help you to find a plan that best suits their dental needs.
Since we only have one set of teeth with no spare, taking good care of your own set is extremely vital. Generally, taking care of your teeth entails brushing and flossing on a regular basis. Also, regular visits to the dentist can help prevent major dental complications from occurring. And finally, a great way to make dental care more affordable is by acquiring the best dental insurance plan.