Cosmetic dentistry is the type of dentistry that aims to help patients improve their teeth and smile. This is what separates it from what is known as traditional dentistry. Another way to look at the two is to see the services and treatments offered by traditional dentistry as a necessity, while those offered in cosmetic dentistry are electrical, which means, the patient can decide whether or not to push through with the treatment.
Some treatments offered by a clinic for cosmetic dentistry can also help patients improve their overall oral health. For example, dental fillings which have been traditionally given by general practitioners are now classified under cosmetic dentistry as these offer both aesthetic and functional benefits. Check out the most common services offered from a clinic for cosmetic dentistry below.
– Teeth whitening. Teeth whitening or bleaching is one of the more popular cosmetic dentistry treatments as many people want to lighten the shade of their teeth. Through the use of chemicals, dentists can help remedy discoloration caused by some food and drinks, smoking, and some types of medicines.
– Bonding. In bonding, a cosmetic dentist uses a tooth-colored material in order to change the color of the teeth or fill in gaps. Bonding has become popular because it requires just one visit to the dentist's office and, through proper care, can least several years. Bonding is sometimes used as a substitute for fillings and to close gaps between teeth.
– Crowns. Crowns are used to restore the appearance and shape of teeth. It is sometimes recommended as a treatment of last resort due to the amount of time required to install these. The upside is that these can be used for cases wherein other treatments may not be possible or effective. Additionally, crowns can last for a long time.
– Veneers. Veneers are used to treat the same problems that bonding solvents, including chipped, misshapen, uneven, crooked and discolored teeth. Cosmetic dentists may use either plastic or porcelain which is placed over the surface of the tooth to change its color and shape. And unlike bonding, veneers are a little cheaper.
– Reshaping and contouring. If you have teeth that are crooked, irregularly shaped or have been chipped, tooth reshaping and contouring can help you give your teeth a much needed makeover.
These are only some of the most common ones offered by a typical cosmetic dentistry clinic . The best way to determine which cosmetic dental treatment you should choose is to schedule a consultation with your dentist.
Source by Jim O Kelly