Tooth extraction will be performed under the influence of local anesthesia and will be performed by an oral surgeon and maxillofacial surgeon. So today we will discussing about this dental procedure and understand the aftercare, the cost and everything that you should be aware of when you are directed towards it.
As mentioned above, tooth extraction surgery is performed under the influence of a local anesthesia which will numb the area of operation. An oral surgeon will perform the surgery as they are highly qualified on such matters. In case there is a need to for removal of multiple tooth extraction then your dentist will be using a stronger anesthesia or general anesthesia. This will numb your whole body and you will not feel any pain or sensation until the surgery is over.
Once the tooth extraction is completed it will require stitching for which you gently bite on the cotton gauze pad. This is required to stop the bleeding and hence it is placed over the wound. The tooth which has been removed will be replaced by dental implant, denture or bridge. As far as dental bridge is concerned, you should know that it will be used if more than one tooth has been extracted. This might be permanent or removable fixture.
The recovery period of tooth extraction lasts for a few days however there are some basic steps that you should keep in mind. These steps help in speedy recovery:
• Post tooth extraction surgery you are bound to feel pain. So to subdue that pain your dentist will prescribe you some painkillers. Make sure you take those painkillers. Along with that you can also use ice packs for 10 to 20 minutes. If required put a very thin cloth between ice and your mouth.
• The pain caused after tooth extraction surgery will last for a few days however after 24 hours make sure you rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water. This has to be repeated several times a day. It helps in reducing swelling and relieving pain.
• Before the gauze pads get soaked in blood make sure that you change them.
• You will feel a lot of discomfort but please note that it is bound to happen. All you have to do is relax.
• Do not smoke for the rest of the days.
• Tooth extraction or any sort of surgery is painful and makes you uncomfortable. You might want to eat your favorite food but make sure that eat soft food such yogurt, pudding and thin soup.
• Tooth extraction will cause a lot of bleeding so make sure when you lie down you support your head with two or three pillows. This will avoid excessive bleeding.
Tooth extraction will require stitching. Do not be scared as these stitches will get dissolved over time however there are some which will have to be removed. Your dentist will let you know when to come for the removal of stitches.
It is important that tooth extraction is carried because it helps in keeping the infection from getting spread throughout your mouth. Apart from all that, you need to make sure that once an implant, denture or bridge is placed you take good care of your teeth. Follow proper brushing technique and make sure you do not indulge in things which hamper the condition further.
Source by Dr Sunil Phol